Thursday, December 9, 2010

Touching the Void (anyone read that book?)

I don't know if anyone has ever heard the tale about two young pups braving the wilderness for a month and climbing the tallest mountain in the state of New York. It's almost as good as Touching the Void, a story about some guys who climbed Everest or something (sick book by the way). Anyways, this feat was achieved in record time, no less then 12 minutes from bottom to top, while carrying sherpas on our backs due to the fact they were in severe oxygen debt. With a prominence of 4,914 feet it's no Everest, but pretty darn close. I think our success on this mountain was greatly due to our huge aerobic base built up from previous months and long portage runs with 70 pound packs. I'm also inclined to believe that this really contributed to our success in the upcoming cross-country season. It was our first taste that year of absolutely demolishing our competition, the nearest finisher trudged in 30 minutes later and probably never fully recovered.

This feat remains to this day my greatest accomplishment in sport and I have started to refer to myself as Survivorman. If anyone needs any tips on braving the outdoors, by all means don't hesitate to ask. Me and Scott have tons of experience in the bush, even though Scott wimped out this year. 

A little update as well, I called my doctor and they told me there was nothing unusual about my results and then promptly hung up without waiting for my response. I'm hopefully going to get a bone scan from a NEW GP because there is no way a soft tissue injury could last this long without any stress on it. 

a. noble

No comments:

Post a Comment